Soothsayers hold sway on Andhra New Year day
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh celebrated Telugu New Year’s Day Ugadi today without the shadow of a separate Telangana statehood and soothsayers of political parties holding sway.
Over the last few years, a forecast over the formation of a separate state in that particular year had become a mandatory feature of the traditional panchanga sravanam (reading of the almanac) on Ugadi day.
Of course, such prediction used to come out only from the Telangana Bhavan, headquarters of Telangana Rashtra Samiti, where its astrologer would invariably bet over the formation of a separate state during that year.
That the predictions never came true is a matter of fact, which the TRS too could not wish away.
There was no prediction this time about the planets, positive influence, on Telangana region that would eventually ensure formation of a separate state.
Hence, it did not organize any `panchanga sravanam` in its office today on the occasion of Ugadi.
The state government as well as the major political parties in Andhra Pradesh have reduced the panchanga sravanam, which Telugu people would eagerly await listening to at the start of the new year, to a farce by getting amusing predictions made by their respective astrologers on Ugadi day every year.
Interestingly, there was no political discourse at the panchanga sravanam organized by Telugu Desam Party at NTR Bhavan today.
Ruling Congress, on the other hand, got to hear some soothing music at its state headquarters Gandhi Bhavan when the party`s soothsayer told Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy, PCC president Botsa Satyanarayana, several ministers and other leaders about that good things were in store for the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’