Speaker miffed on frequent by-polls in Andhra
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Assembly Speaker Nadendla Manohar has expressed serious displeasure over the frequent by-elections forced by resignation of sitting legislators.
"The state has witnessed 65 by-elections in the last six years due to resignation of MLAs (for one reason or the other). This is resulting in wastage of public money on conduct of elections besides paralysing administration and causing hardship to people," Manohar told newsmen in an informal chat on completing one year as AP Assembly Speaker today.
Minutes after his informal meeting with media persons ended, two Congress MLAs -- Sujaya Krishna Ranga Rao of Bobbili and Alla Krishna Srinivas (Nani) of Eluru -- met Manohar to submit their resignations from the membership of the Assembly.
Both the MLAs have also quit the Congress to formally join the YSR Congress. If their resignations are accepted, the ruling party`s strength in the AP Assembly will fall to 151 -- just three more than the magic figure of 148. Two more MLAs -- Dwarapudi Chandrasekhar Reddy and Savarapu Jayamani -- have also expressed solidarity with YSR Congress president Y S Jaganmohan Reddy and are expected to resign from their posts soon.
The Speaker said the Law Commission recommended that legislators who resign from their posts or those disqualified should not be allowed to contest afresh till the next general elections. "The Government of India is yet to enact a legislation in this regard," he said.
Meanwhile, it is learnt that Manohar will present a paper at the Conference of Presiding Officers at Patna in September putting forth his views on the legislators` resignation issue. Since India adopted the British Parliamentary system, it should also follow the same with regard to the legislators` resignations, the Speaker reportedly feels.
This would put an end to frequent resignations on flimsy or "emotional" grounds and avert unwanted by-elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- French Open champ Garbine Muguruza withdraws from Montreal
- Olympics 2016: More Russians banned in mounting Rio toll
- Throwback! Diana Penty’s Italian vacation pics will inspire you to visit the country
- Singer Shweta Pandit gets married to Italian beau Ivano Fucci
- Nation remembers "Missile Man" APJ Abdul Kalam on his 1st death anniversary