Srikakulam villagers protest against nuclear power plant
Visakhapatnam: Expressing concern over
safety aspects, the villagers of Ranasthalam mandal in
Srikakulam district have opposed setting up of a nuclear power
plant by the Government of India at Kuvvada village in the
Villagers from all 150 villages comprising 30
panchayts under `Anu Vyatireka Porata Samithi` on Friday took
out a rally in Ranasthalam and submitted a memorandum to the
Mandal Revenue Officer demanding withdrawal of the proposed
nuclear power plant in the wake of ongoing nuclear crisis in
A representative of the Samithi G Kiran Kumar said today that the villagers have proposed to constitute a
full-fledged committee to lead an agitation against the nuke
power plant proposed in 1992 by the Nuclear Power Corporation
India Ltd (NPCIL) at Kovvada for which 2000 acres of land had
been identified, though the process of acquisition has yet to
Villagers have expressed grave concern over the
nuclear power plant stating that it would cause damage to
environment and affect the livelihood of people including the
fishermen, Kumar said.
He said it would be very difficult for India to handle
nuclear emergency as a developed country like Japan too is
struggling to overcome the nuclear crisis after it was hit by
an earthquake and a tsunami.
Mandal Revenue Officer Visweswara Rao said he received
a memorandum from the villagers and would forward it to
Srikakulam district collector for necessary action.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'