Srikrishna report: Protests continue at Osmania University
Hyderabad: Protests against the Justice
Srikrishna Committee`s recommendations continued for the third
day on Saturday on the Osmania University (OU) campus here with pro-
Telangana students pelting stones on police personnel who
responded by lobbing teargas shells.
Incidents of stone pelting by students at police
continued till late afternoon and security forces retaliated
by lobbing teargas shells. The situation is now peaceful,
Deputy Commissioner of Police (East Zone) Y Gangadhar said to a news agency.
There were no reports of injuries.
A nine-member fact finding team constituted by the
State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) visited the university
campus, the nerve centre of the statehood movement, and
assessed the situation, he said.
"The committee members found that apart from the OU
students there were several (outsiders) who were carrying out
agitations and stone pelting on the campus," the DCP claimed.
The Committee will submit its report to the SHRC on
January 11. The Telangana Advocates and Lecturers Associations
had approached the SHRC, alleging police fired on OU students
during their protests in the last two days after the
Srikrishna Committee report was made public.
The police officer said that TRS Member of Parliament
Vijayashanthi and ten others were taken into preventive
custody when they tried to forcefully enter the OU campus.
The MP had heated arguments with the police over the
issue of meeting the agitating students.
"So far 18 cases were registered in connection with
burning of RTC buses, a police jeep and two private vehicles
besides causing injuries to policemen in stone pelting in and
around OU," Gangadhar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'