Student commits suicide over Telangana
Hyderabad: Apparently frustrated by the delay in the formation of a separate Telangana state, a student of Osmania University in Andhra Pradesh committed suicide early on Saturday, police said.
The body of Bandaru Srinivas, an engineering student, was found hanging from a tree opposite the library on the Osmania University campus. He hailed from Mahabubnagar district of Telangana region.
A friend of Srinivas said he was depressed over the delay in granting statehood to Telangana. Police shifted the body to Gandhi Hospital where an autopsy was conducted.
The incident led to tension on the campus, which has been witnessing clashes between police and pro-Telangana students over the past three days.
Osmania University Students` Joint Action Committee demanded that the police hand over the body to them. They plan to bring the body to the campus to enable all students to pay their tributes.
Telangana Joint Action Committee chairman M. Kodandaram, state BJP chief G. Kishan Reddy and some other leaders visited the hospital to pay their last respects to Srinivas.
Srinivas is the third student to end his life on the university campus.
Pro-Telangana groups say over 600 people, mostly youth, committed suicide in the last three years over the delay in the formation of Telangana state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand