Students, police clash again in Osmania campus
Hyderabad: Tension prevailed at Osmania
University (OU) here on the second day of the 48-hour bandh
called by Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), after
pro-Telangana students again clashed with police.
Trouble started after police stopped the students from
undertaking a protest-march from the OU campus to Gun Park
(Martyrs` Memorial) around noon in support of Telangana. There
were similar clashes yesterday too.
Students hurled stones at police near the NCC gate on
the campus, and the latter responded by firing teargas shells,
a senior police officer said.
"Police used only teargas shells to disperse the
protesting students... neither rubber bullets were used nor
were the students caned," the officer said.
"With stone-pelting by students on police continuing, the
situation is tense, but under control. There is no permission
to undertake any rallies or processions, but the protesters
are forcibly trying to defy the ban orders," said Deputy
Commissioner of Police (East Zone) Y Gangadhar.
A group of protesters also rained stones on the OU Police
Station, located on the campus, and police lobbed teargas
A journalist with Telugu news channel `Samad` sustained
injuries on the head.
A pro-Telangana student leader alleged that police
prevented them from undertaking a peaceful march toward the
Gun Park. "The police over-reacted and used force against us
and fired teargas shells as we tried to take out a peaceful
march. The police are provoking the students, but we are
determined to take out the march," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read