Sudani man arrested in AP for marrying minor girl
Hyderabad: A Sudani national was arrested on charge of forcibly marrying a minor girl at Moghalpura here, police said on Friday.
Three others, including a woman, were also arrested for helping him in the marriage, they said.
The accused Osama Ibrahim, who worked as a project engineer with a petroleum company in Sudan, came to India after one of his friends informed him that he could get married to a girl in Hyderabad, they said.
Osama agreed to pay Rs two lakh in order to get married to a girl and accordingly came to the city on February 19.
One Mumtaj Begum introduced to him four girls for the marriage, police said, adding that Osama selected a 17-year-old girl.
Mumtaj Begum convinced the girl`s family members for the contract marriage with the Sudani national, even as the girl refused to marry the national saying that he was of her father`s age.
However, the family members got her married forcibly on February 21.
The girl managed to escape from the house last night and approached the Moghalpura police and narrated the incident to them.
Osama and others were in the process of getting a duplicate age certificate of the girl to show that the marriage was valid, police said.
One Mohammed Hassan, who arranged the contract marriage by taking Rs one lakh from Osama and Qazi Mohd Naseeruddin, besides Mumtaj Begum were on Friday arrested under relevant sections of IPC and Prohibition of Child Marriage Act.
Search has been launched to nab the parents of the girl.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'