Suicide case: AP Govt asked to pay Rs 1 lakh compensation
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission (NHRC) has asked Andhra Pradesh government to pay a
compensation of Rs one lakh to the parents of a person who
committed suicide in police custody about four years ago.
The rights body also asked the state government to
submit a compliance report to it along with the proof of
payment of the monetary relief.
Jakir Basha, who was arrested on May 9, 2005 from
Guntakal in Anantapur district on his wife`s complaint of
torture, had consumed poison in police custody, NHRC said,
adding he was first admitted to a government hospital in the
district but later shifted to Abhaya Hospital in Bangalore
where he died on May 17.
The postmortem and viscera examination report revealed
that he had died due to respiratory failure caused by the
poisonous substance he had consumed, it said.
"On consideration of the facts of the case, the
Commission found prima facie that life of Basha could have
been saved if the police had been vigilant," it added.
The commission took up the case in 2006 on the basis
of an intimation received from the Assistant Commissioner,
Bangalore. Taking cognisance of the case, the commission issued a
notice to Andhra government seeking it`s reply.
"However, despite reminders, no reply came from the
Andhra government and the commission finally concluded
that the state government has nothing to say in defence of the
police and hence it must bear liability for the death of
Basha," the rights body said.
Basha had married to Praveena against the wishes of
her parents on the January 24, 1999. "The marital journey was
not smooth and in 2005, Praveena made a complaint at P.S.
Guntakal Town-II alleging that she was being harassed by her
husband," it added.
Police had arrested Basha in connection with a case of
torture lodged against him under Section 498 (A) of the Indian
Penal Code (IPC) by his wife, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?