Swami Asimanand sent to CBI custody till Dec 18
Hyderabad: A local court on Thursday remanded Swami
Asimanand, an accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast case, in
eight-day CBI custody till December 18.
The XIV Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court
here allowed Swaminand`s custody from tomorrow, though the
investigation agency had requested permission to allow it to
further interrogate him for an additional 15-day period.
Asimanand alias Naba Kumar Sarkar, who is presently under
judicial custody till December 14, was arrested by CBI on
November 19 from Haridwar in connection with the blast at the
historic Mecca Masjid here on May 18, 2007.
Nine persons were killed in the explosion.
The court, earlier on November 26, had remanded the
59-year-old Asimanand in seven-day CBI custody.
CBI counsel P Vikram had contended that the accused had
to be confronted with statements of other witnesses and
documents as during the previous course of interrogation he
did not reveal the facts due to his weak memory.
It was necessary to take him to Gujarat and other places
for interrogation, he said.
The CBI also asked for custodial interrogation of the
accused to elicit "conspiracy" between Asimanand and other
accused in the blast case. However, the defence counsel had
opposed police custody saying it would serve no purpose as
Asimanand did not reveal any facts during interrogation.
After considering contention of both the parties,
magistrate K Sudhakar today allowed the CBI petition saying it
was necessary to confront the swami with the statements of
other witnesses and documents.
He directed that the investigating officer should not use
third degree method of investigation against the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues