T-demand: People now hopeful of separate Telangana
Hyderabad: Optimism rekindled among people of Andhra Pradesh as Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Friday announced in New Delhi that there will be decision within one-month on the Telangana statehood demand.
More than what the decision will be, everyone is happy that for the first time in years, the Government of India has come out with a specific time-frame for resolving the vexatious statehood issue.
Nobody, including the political parties involved, expected this response from the Centre as it had been dragging its feet on the issue that kept Andhra Pradesh on the edge especially in last three years.
Repeated pleas by various stakeholders to the Centre to take a call on the contentious issue virtually fell on deaf ears as the ruling Congress party appeared unenthusiastic.
Even at the all-party meet today, the ruling party could not speak in one voice despite all other parties making their respective stands clear.
Now that the Union Home Minister set a one-month deadline, the Congress will have no other option except to mark its position.
That the major political parties -- Congress and Telugu Desam -- are vertically divided along regional lines on the state bifurcation issue is a known fact.
But, the "mental separation" between common people of Andhra-Rayalaseema and Telangana regions is also an indisputable fact.
Everybody is thus waiting for the Centre to tell whether there will be geographical separation (of Andhra Pradesh) as well.
Meanwhile, Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) president K Chandrasekhar Rao, the self-styled torch-bearer of the statehood movement, became the subject of sharp ridicule on social media following his reaction after the all-party meet and the call for a bandh in Telangana region on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing