T-demand: People now hopeful of separate Telangana
Hyderabad: Optimism rekindled among people of Andhra Pradesh as Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Friday announced in New Delhi that there will be decision within one-month on the Telangana statehood demand.
More than what the decision will be, everyone is happy that for the first time in years, the Government of India has come out with a specific time-frame for resolving the vexatious statehood issue.
Nobody, including the political parties involved, expected this response from the Centre as it had been dragging its feet on the issue that kept Andhra Pradesh on the edge especially in last three years.
Repeated pleas by various stakeholders to the Centre to take a call on the contentious issue virtually fell on deaf ears as the ruling Congress party appeared unenthusiastic.
Even at the all-party meet today, the ruling party could not speak in one voice despite all other parties making their respective stands clear.
Now that the Union Home Minister set a one-month deadline, the Congress will have no other option except to mark its position.
That the major political parties -- Congress and Telugu Desam -- are vertically divided along regional lines on the state bifurcation issue is a known fact.
But, the "mental separation" between common people of Andhra-Rayalaseema and Telangana regions is also an indisputable fact.
Everybody is thus waiting for the Centre to tell whether there will be geographical separation (of Andhra Pradesh) as well.
Meanwhile, Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) president K Chandrasekhar Rao, the self-styled torch-bearer of the statehood movement, became the subject of sharp ridicule on social media following his reaction after the all-party meet and the call for a bandh in Telangana region on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview