TDP considers candidates for Telangana by-polls
Hyderabad: Main opposition TDP is understood
to have considered the names of at least seven candidates for
the ensuing by-elections in Telangana region, even as the
Election Commission announced the poll schedule today.
The likely nominees are -- Gone Hanumantha Rao
(Mancherial), Ch Sudhakar Rao (Vemulawada), Aleem (Nizamabad
Urban), M Damodar Reddy (Huzurabad), Boda Janardhan (Chennur),
P Rajyalakshmi (Sirpur Kagaznagar) and S Viswanath (Korutla).
The party, however, maintained that no names had been
finalised yet for the by-polls and the respective candidates
were only "under consideration".
TDP chief Chandrababu Naidu is leaving on a two-day trip
to Vizinagaram district in north-coastal Andhra tomorrow and
the party candidates for the by-elections will be finalised
only after his return to Hyderabad, party sources said.
Naidu today held parleys with his senior colleagues from
the region and deliberated on the strategy for the by-polls.
The party decided to raise people`s problems and
highlight the state government`s failures rather than take up
the controversial statehood issue in the by-poll campaign,
according to senior party leaders.
The TDP would highlight how the Andhra Pradesh government
failed to prevent Maharashtra from constructing the Babli
irrigation project on Godavari.
By-elections to ten Assembly seats in Telangana region
will be held on July 27, the Election Commission announced
Though there are 12 vacancies, election petitions are
pending with regard to two Assembly seats -- Vemulawada and
Sircilla, as the petitioners have sought to be declared
elected, the EC said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez