TDP demands PM`s resignation over CAG report
Hyderabad: Telugu Desam Party today demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh step down from his post owning moral responsibility for the Rs 1.86 lakh crore coal scam unearthed by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
Addressing a press conference here, Telugu Desam Parliamentary Party leader Nama Nageswara Rao also sought an explanation from the Prime Minister as to whether the scandal took place with or without his knowledge.
"The indiscriminate allocation of coal blocks happened when the Prime Minister himself was holding the coal portfolio. Even the then Union Minister of State for Coal Dasari Narayana Rao claims that Prime Minister himself oversaw the allocation process. Hence the Prime Minister should own moral responsibility for the unprecedented loss to the exchequer and step down," Nageswara Rao said.
The CAG had unearthed massive corruption to the tune of Rs 3.8 lakh crore, including in the coal blocks, development of new Delhi International Airport and concessions for major power projects, the TDPP leader pointed out.
"We will question the Prime Minister on these issues and stall Parliament. We also demand that an independent inquiry be ordered under the supervision of Supreme Court into the issues raised by CAG. The irregular allotments should be cancelled forthwith and the bidding process should be taken up afresh," Nageswara Rao said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand