TDP, farmers block highways in Andhra Pradesh
Vijayawada: TDP and farmer groups from coastal Andhra Pradesh Saturday launched an agitation to demand release of water from Nagarjunasagar to Krishna.
Legislators and workers from the main Opposition party and farmers from coastal districts of Prakasam, Guntur, Krishna and West Godavari blockade highways and staged sit-ins at various places to press for their demands.
Farmers said release of water from Nagarjunasagar to Krishna delta is necessary to meet their drinking and irrigation requirements. Also uninterrupted power supply is required to save their standing crops.
In Krishna district, TDP workers and farmers disrupted road traffic at Gollapudi and Nandigama on Vijayawada- Hyderabad National Highway, Gannavaram and Hanuman Junction on Vijayawada-Visakhapatnam National Highway.
Following this, hundreds of vehicles, including passenger buses, were stranded on the highways since morning.
Devineni Umamaheswara Rao, a TD legislator, was removed from a sit-in site at Gollapudi by Vijayawada police and shifted to a police station along with his followers.
At Pedakakani in Guntur district, former Minister Kodela Siva Prasada Rao and legislator Dhulipalla Narendra Kumar led the stir along with farmer outfits and Left parties.
At many places, police tried to remove agitators and clear road traffic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note