TDP, farmers block highways in Andhra Pradesh
Vijayawada: TDP and farmer groups from coastal Andhra Pradesh Saturday launched an agitation to demand release of water from Nagarjunasagar to Krishna.
Legislators and workers from the main Opposition party and farmers from coastal districts of Prakasam, Guntur, Krishna and West Godavari blockade highways and staged sit-ins at various places to press for their demands.
Farmers said release of water from Nagarjunasagar to Krishna delta is necessary to meet their drinking and irrigation requirements. Also uninterrupted power supply is required to save their standing crops.
In Krishna district, TDP workers and farmers disrupted road traffic at Gollapudi and Nandigama on Vijayawada- Hyderabad National Highway, Gannavaram and Hanuman Junction on Vijayawada-Visakhapatnam National Highway.
Following this, hundreds of vehicles, including passenger buses, were stranded on the highways since morning.
Devineni Umamaheswara Rao, a TD legislator, was removed from a sit-in site at Gollapudi by Vijayawada police and shifted to a police station along with his followers.
At Pedakakani in Guntur district, former Minister Kodela Siva Prasada Rao and legislator Dhulipalla Narendra Kumar led the stir along with farmer outfits and Left parties.
At many places, police tried to remove agitators and clear road traffic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow