TDP, farmers block highways in Andhra Pradesh
Vijayawada: TDP and farmer groups from coastal Andhra Pradesh Saturday launched an agitation to demand release of water from Nagarjunasagar to Krishna.
Legislators and workers from the main Opposition party and farmers from coastal districts of Prakasam, Guntur, Krishna and West Godavari blockade highways and staged sit-ins at various places to press for their demands.
Farmers said release of water from Nagarjunasagar to Krishna delta is necessary to meet their drinking and irrigation requirements. Also uninterrupted power supply is required to save their standing crops.
In Krishna district, TDP workers and farmers disrupted road traffic at Gollapudi and Nandigama on Vijayawada- Hyderabad National Highway, Gannavaram and Hanuman Junction on Vijayawada-Visakhapatnam National Highway.
Following this, hundreds of vehicles, including passenger buses, were stranded on the highways since morning.
Devineni Umamaheswara Rao, a TD legislator, was removed from a sit-in site at Gollapudi by Vijayawada police and shifted to a police station along with his followers.
At Pedakakani in Guntur district, former Minister Kodela Siva Prasada Rao and legislator Dhulipalla Narendra Kumar led the stir along with farmer outfits and Left parties.
At many places, police tried to remove agitators and clear road traffic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price