TDP leader Yerran Naidu cremated
Srikakulam: Former Union minister and senior TDP leader Kinjarapu Yerran Naidu, who died in a road accident, was cremated with state honours at his native Nimmada village in north coastal Andhra district on Saturday morning.
Telugu Desam chief N Chandrababu Naidu led scores of party leaders, workers and admirers in the funeral procession after which a gun salute was given by the police.
Srikakulam district Collector Saurabh Gaur placed a wreath on Yerran`s body on behalf of the government.
Yerran Naidu`s son Rammohan lit the pyre set in the family`s agriculture field.
Chandrababu, who was accompanied by his son Lokesh, was in tears as he bid final adieu to his closest aide.
Thousands of people from Srikakulam and neighbouring Vizianagaram district thronged Nimmada and paid homage to the departed leader, who had represented them in AP Legislative Assembly and Lok Sabha for four terms each.
State Civil Supplies Minister D Sridhar Babu, MP Madhu Yashki, MLAs Nagam Janardhan Reddy and S Venugopalachari were among those who paid homage to Yerran Naidu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez