TDP legislator to join TRS
Hyderabad: A legislator of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) Monday decided to join the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS).
G. Kamlakar, member of the Andhra Pradesh legislative assembly from Karimnagar, took the decision after consultations with his followers and an assurance from the TRS that he would be fielded as the party candidate from the same constituency in next year`s elections.
The TDP lawmaker will formally join the TRS at the party`s proposed convention at Armoor town in Nizamabad district April 27.
Kamlakar said continuing in the TDP was of no use as people perceive it as a party opposed to the formation of Telangana state.
When asked about reports that he was planning to join the TRS, Congress MP S. Rajaiah Monday said he would go to any extent for Telangana.
The MP from Warangal said he would take a decision in line with the people`s aspirations. Pointing out that they had long been fighting in the party for a separate Telangana state but in vain, Rajaiah said if the separate state is not formed now, it could never become a reality.
Another Congress MP from Telangana, Manda Jagannatham has already hinted at joining the TRS soon.
The sub-regional party`s president K. Chandrasekhara Rao is inviting Congress MPs and state legislators to join his party for a decisive fight to achieve Telangana state.
The TRS chief Sunday called on Congress leader K. Keshava Rao to invite him to join the party. Chandrasekhara Rao is reportedly in touch with several legislators of the Congress and the TDP.
About a dozen legislators have joined TRS during the last two years and seven of them got re-elected from their respective constituencies on a TRS ticket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!