TDP members meet AP Guv, request him to invite Chandrababu to form govt
Hyderabad: A delegation of Telugu Desam Party legislators met Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan at the Raj Bhavan here on Thursday and handed over a letter informing him about the election of N Chandrababu Naidu as the leader of Telugu Desam Legislature Party.
The TDP Legislature Party met in temple-town Tirupati late last night and unanimously elected Chandrababu as its leader.
Senior legislators Yanamala Ramakrishnudu, K E Krishna Murthy, Mandali Buddha Prasad, Dhulipalla Narendra and others met the Governor this afternoon and informed him about the unanimous election.
"We requested the Governor to invite Chandrababu Naidu to form the government of (new) Andhra Pradesh," Yanamala later told reporters.
The Governor sought details about the swearing-in, like place and time, which the TDP delegation provided.
The Governor is expected to invite Chandrababu this evening and hand-over a letter formally appointing the latter as the first Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh.
A "muhurtam" has been set at 7.27 PM on June 8 for Chandrababu`s swearing-in.
Keeping with his promise to people, Chandrababu will take oath at a public function at Nagarjuna Nagar between Vijayawada and Guntur.
Elaborate arrangements are being made for the swearing-in ceremony as a crowd of over five lakh people is expected for the event.
Besides, Union Ministers and Chief Ministers of various states are expected to attend the ceremony.
The TDP won 102 seats in the 175-member AP Assembly.
While an independent, who was actually a rebel candidate of the TDP, returned to the party upon his election from Pithapuram, another candidate, who won the election on behalf of an unknown `Navodayam Party`, also announced that he would be an "associate" member of the TDP in the Assembly.
The TDP is, however, yet to take a final call in his case as there is strong opposition within the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown