TDP MLA murder case: 8 get life imprisonment
New Delhi: Eight persons were sentenced to
life imprisonment in the sensational murder case of a Telugu
Desam Party MLA by a Anantpur district court of Andhra Pradesh
Principal District and Sessions Court today convicted the
eight accused - Panduga Narayana Reddy, Vallupalli Rekhamaiah,
Ranganayakulu, Vadde Konda, Vadde Seena, Medimi Obi Reddy,
Peddi Reddy and Vanna Hanumantha Reddy - and sentenced them to
life imprisonment in a case relating to murder of MLA Paritala
Ravindra in January 2005, a CBI release said.
It was alleged that Ravindra, then sitting MLA of
Penugonda constituency in Anantapur, was murdered in broad
daylight inside the TDP office where more than 500 party
members had gathered.
The assailants, guised as armed security personnel, had
shot at the legislator and threw bombs outside the TDP office.
Initial police investigations found the motive behind the
killing to be age-old family rivalry. The case was transferred
to the CBI a month later and the probe revealed that the
conspiracy was hatched by one Gangula Suryanarayana Reddy
while he was undergoing life imprisonment for an earlier
attempt to kill Ravindra in 1997, which was popularly known as
Jubilee Hills bomb blast case.
CBI had also exhumed the body of the deceased and
collected vital evidence such as cartridges which were not
recovered earlier during post-mortem examination.
Charges were framed against the accused persons in
December 2007 by the trial court which convicted eight people
while four were acquitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue
- M&M launches DiGiSense platform to access vital vehicle info
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze
- UN verified Dawood's Pak addresses, wife, father's name, aliases; high time it extradites him: MEA
- Injured Cristiano Ronaldo absent from Portugal squad for World Cup 2018 qualifying round