TDP MLA murder case: 8 get life imprisonment
New Delhi: Eight persons were sentenced to
life imprisonment in the sensational murder case of a Telugu
Desam Party MLA by a Anantpur district court of Andhra Pradesh
Principal District and Sessions Court today convicted the
eight accused - Panduga Narayana Reddy, Vallupalli Rekhamaiah,
Ranganayakulu, Vadde Konda, Vadde Seena, Medimi Obi Reddy,
Peddi Reddy and Vanna Hanumantha Reddy - and sentenced them to
life imprisonment in a case relating to murder of MLA Paritala
Ravindra in January 2005, a CBI release said.
It was alleged that Ravindra, then sitting MLA of
Penugonda constituency in Anantapur, was murdered in broad
daylight inside the TDP office where more than 500 party
members had gathered.
The assailants, guised as armed security personnel, had
shot at the legislator and threw bombs outside the TDP office.
Initial police investigations found the motive behind the
killing to be age-old family rivalry. The case was transferred
to the CBI a month later and the probe revealed that the
conspiracy was hatched by one Gangula Suryanarayana Reddy
while he was undergoing life imprisonment for an earlier
attempt to kill Ravindra in 1997, which was popularly known as
Jubilee Hills bomb blast case.
CBI had also exhumed the body of the deceased and
collected vital evidence such as cartridges which were not
recovered earlier during post-mortem examination.
Charges were framed against the accused persons in
December 2007 by the trial court which convicted eight people
while four were acquitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire