TDP MLA murder case: 8 get life imprisonment
New Delhi: Eight persons were sentenced to
life imprisonment in the sensational murder case of a Telugu
Desam Party MLA by a Anantpur district court of Andhra Pradesh
Principal District and Sessions Court today convicted the
eight accused - Panduga Narayana Reddy, Vallupalli Rekhamaiah,
Ranganayakulu, Vadde Konda, Vadde Seena, Medimi Obi Reddy,
Peddi Reddy and Vanna Hanumantha Reddy - and sentenced them to
life imprisonment in a case relating to murder of MLA Paritala
Ravindra in January 2005, a CBI release said.
It was alleged that Ravindra, then sitting MLA of
Penugonda constituency in Anantapur, was murdered in broad
daylight inside the TDP office where more than 500 party
members had gathered.
The assailants, guised as armed security personnel, had
shot at the legislator and threw bombs outside the TDP office.
Initial police investigations found the motive behind the
killing to be age-old family rivalry. The case was transferred
to the CBI a month later and the probe revealed that the
conspiracy was hatched by one Gangula Suryanarayana Reddy
while he was undergoing life imprisonment for an earlier
attempt to kill Ravindra in 1997, which was popularly known as
Jubilee Hills bomb blast case.
CBI had also exhumed the body of the deceased and
collected vital evidence such as cartridges which were not
recovered earlier during post-mortem examination.
Charges were framed against the accused persons in
December 2007 by the trial court which convicted eight people
while four were acquitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley