TDP to intensify pro-farmer protests against govt
Hyderabad: Accusing the Andhra Pradesh
government of having failed to take effective steps for the
welfare of farmers, Telugu Desam chief N Chandrababu Naidu
on Sunday vowed to intensify struggle on the issue.
"The farmers are not getting the remunerative minimum
support price. Their stocks have not been purchased yet. The
price of seeds has gone up and yet they are not available. The
scarcity, coupled with black-marketing, has made it difficult
for farmers," Naidu told reporters here.
Even if farmers start agricultural operations somehow,
they are confronted with escalating prices of good quality
fertilisers, he said after holding a meeting on farmers`
issues with other opposition parties including CPI, CPI(M),
CPI(ML) and Lok Satta.
"Flood-hit farmers have not been given input subsidy.
The expenses have risen. The loans have not been rescheduled
as promised. Godown space is not available to farmers to store
their produce. Wheat from north India is stored in godowns
here. Even gunny bags are not available," he said.
"The situation is such that farmers have declared crop
holiday. This is a form of non-cooperation by the farmers.
Farmers in 16 mandals in East Godavari have refused to sow
fresh crops though there is no scarcity of water there. It
reflects the situation," the TDP chief said, adding that his
party would launch protests to mount pressure on the state
"We will launch signature campaign from village level.
We will give a representation to the state government, Centre
and try to enlist the support of various other parties and
organisations," Naidu added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city