TDP wants AP floods declared as national calamity
Hyderabad: The Telugu Desam Party today asked the Centre to declare the deluge caused by cyclonic storm Nilam as a national calamity and extend full support to Andhra Pradesh.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today, TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu requested the former to personally visit the state "to have first hand information about the grave calamity" so that the Centre would be able to extend liberal assistance to the affected families.
The Leader of Opposition also requested the Prime Minister to send Central teams to AP within the next two days to assess the actual damage.
"The state government has failed miserably in managing the disaster and the Chief Minister is not responding to the crisis effectively. The state government machinery had failed miserably in preventing the extent of damage and in providing rescue and relief to the affected people.
The Chief Minister and the Revenue Minister were not in Hyderabad to monitor the situation despite forecast of heavy rainfall," Chandrababu pointed out.
While 50 people lost their lives in the calamity, crops in 14 lakh acres were destroyed.
Close to 7,000 houses were damaged and 68,000 people were still in relief camps while power supply was cut off in 225 villages, the former Chief Minister said.
He wanted special centres to be opened for procurement of paddy and other farm produce in the affected districts.
He also requested the Prime Minister to direct departments like railways, telecommunications and National Highways Authority of India to restore communication facilities on a war-footing to facilitate rehabilitation work.
Alleging "lack of seriousness" on part of the Central government in assisting Andhra Pradesh, Naidu recalled that only Rs 600 crore out of the Rs 1,000 crore promised by the Prime Minister during the Krishna floods in 2009 were released to the state.
"I, therefore, request you to declare the unprecedented deluge as a national calamity and extend full support to the state," Chandrababu requested the Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'