TDP wants AP floods declared as national calamity
Hyderabad: The Telugu Desam Party today asked the Centre to declare the deluge caused by cyclonic storm Nilam as a national calamity and extend full support to Andhra Pradesh.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today, TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu requested the former to personally visit the state "to have first hand information about the grave calamity" so that the Centre would be able to extend liberal assistance to the affected families.
The Leader of Opposition also requested the Prime Minister to send Central teams to AP within the next two days to assess the actual damage.
"The state government has failed miserably in managing the disaster and the Chief Minister is not responding to the crisis effectively. The state government machinery had failed miserably in preventing the extent of damage and in providing rescue and relief to the affected people.
The Chief Minister and the Revenue Minister were not in Hyderabad to monitor the situation despite forecast of heavy rainfall," Chandrababu pointed out.
While 50 people lost their lives in the calamity, crops in 14 lakh acres were destroyed.
Close to 7,000 houses were damaged and 68,000 people were still in relief camps while power supply was cut off in 225 villages, the former Chief Minister said.
He wanted special centres to be opened for procurement of paddy and other farm produce in the affected districts.
He also requested the Prime Minister to direct departments like railways, telecommunications and National Highways Authority of India to restore communication facilities on a war-footing to facilitate rehabilitation work.
Alleging "lack of seriousness" on part of the Central government in assisting Andhra Pradesh, Naidu recalled that only Rs 600 crore out of the Rs 1,000 crore promised by the Prime Minister during the Krishna floods in 2009 were released to the state.
"I, therefore, request you to declare the unprecedented deluge as a national calamity and extend full support to the state," Chandrababu requested the Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations