Telangana, Andhra-Rayalaseema supporters at loggerheads at AP
Hyderabad: With the deadline for the Centre`s decision on the vexatious Telangana statehood issue approaching fast, the war of words between leaders of Telangana and Andhra-Rayalaseema regions has escalated.
While Andhra-Rayalaseema leaders are brushing aside their Telangana counterparts` claims on "signals" of formation of a new state as "mere speculation," the latter aver that the former are in a state of "desperation" as Telangana state would become a reality soon.
In view of this, Congress leaders, including ministers, MPs and legislators, from Andhra-Rayalaseema will meet in Hyderabad tomorrow to chalk out their course of action amid threats by Telangana protagonists not to let the meeting happen.
The Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) sees a conspiracy by "Seemaandhra forces" to thwart creation of Telangana state at a time when the Centre appeared to be favourably-inclined towards it.
TRS leader T Harish Rao slammed the Andhra-Rayalaseema leaders and alleged that the Chief Minister was encouraging them.
State Panchayat Raj Minister K Jana Reddy and Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) representatives met at former Congress MP K Keshava Rao`s residence here this afternoon and demanded that the Andhra-Rayalaseema leaders cancel their proposed meeting.
The JAC leaders also announced that they would accept nothing less than a Telangana state with Hyderabad as capital.
In Vijayawada, Union Minister for M M Pallam Raju sought to debunk some Telangana ministers` claim over the last few days that they received signals from the Centre on formation of a new state.
"It`s mere speculation," he remarked.
Guntur MP Rayapati Sambasiva Rao also asserted that
the Congress high command would never send out any signals ahead of a crucial decision.
"If at all the Centre decides to divide the state, we will resign from our posts," Rayapati said in Guntur.
Union Minister of State for Tourism K Chiranjeevi, after a meeting with Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on a different issue, refused to be drawn into a debate on the statehood issue and maintained that he would abide by the party high command`s decision.
State Infrastructure and Investments Minister Ganta Srinivasa Rao, after coming under attack from Telangana forces over his threat to resign and step up an agitation for a unified state, clarified that neither Chiranjeevi nor the Chief Minister were behind his statement.
"We will certainly step up the agitation for a united AP," he said in Visakhapatnam today.
Health Minister D L Ravindra Reddy, speaking in his native Mydukuru, observed that the possibility of state bifurcation was "50-50."
"Telangana state may or may not be created," he said.
In Hyderabad, local ministers Danam Nagender and Mukesh Goud recalled their earlier letter to the Congress high command wherein they sought "special state" status for Hyderabad in the event of state bifurcation.
"We hope the party will consult us on this before taking a decision on division of AP," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27