Telangana bandh passes off peacefully
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Friday, July 22, 2011, 23:06
Hyderabad: Barring few minor incidents, the day-long bandh called by the Telangana groups on Friday, in protest against the Andhra Pradesh government's alleged "fascist attitude" towards the suicide of a Telangana youth in Delhi, passed off peacefully.

Schools, colleges, shops and other commercial establishments were closed and the state-run Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) suspended its services at various places as a precautionary measure.

The bandh supporters took out demonstration hailing the "martyrdom" of Yadi Reddy who ended his life in Delhi on Wednesday last.

Attendance in government offices and other establishments was thin as the employees supported the shut down.

Police have taken 638 persons into custody to prevent disturbances, an official release said.

The agitators resorted to 162 road blockades, burnt effigies at 58 plaes, held sit-ins at 94 places and took out 64 rallies.

The release said 10 cases of damages to bus and other vehicles and four cases of attack on private or government properties were reported.

Sporadic incidents of unlawful assembly, pelting of stones, causing inconvenience and nuisance to the general public, closure of petrol pumps, schools, boycotting of courts were reported in the Telangana districts, it said.

Police had made elaborate arrangements for the shut down and it passed peacefully, the release added.

The shutdown had been called in protest against the state government's "fascist attitude" in refusing to allow Telangana leaders pay homage to M Yadi Reddy who allegedly committed suicide in Delhi to protest against delay in the formation of separate state and government's attempt to curb the right of the employees to go on strike.

The bandh evoked partial response in Hyderabad as the shops were found open, the APSRTC buses ran near normally and traffic snarls were witnessed at a few places. However, petrol pumps in the city largely remained closed.


First Published: Friday, July 22, 2011, 23:06

comments powered by Disqus