Telangana bandh: Students, police clash at Osmania University
Hyderabad: Clashes between activists and
police continued on Tuesday at the Osmania University campus even
as a 48-hour bandh began here and in all 10 districts of
Telangana demanding separate statehood for the region.
Police used teargas shells as scores of pro-Telangana
students pelted stones at the police station located at the
University campus, East Zone Deputy Commissioner of Police Y
"The pro-Telangana activists, staging a demonstration in
front of the Osmania University police station, started
hurling stones on police personnel from different directions
following which the police retaliated by using tear gas shells
to disperse the activists," the officer said.
Earlier, at least 120 pro-Telangana activists including
members of the ABVP and Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC)
Convener M Kodandaram were arrested near Tarnaka area adjacent
to the University campus when they took out rallies in support
of the bandh.
Demanding the release of arrested students and
Kodandaram, protesters staged a demonstration before the
police station in the University premises and also raised
slogans seeking withdrawal of police forces from the campus.
To intensify the agitation for separate statehood for the
region, the JAC is observing a bandh today and tomorrow in all
10 districts of Telangana region.
Pro-Telangana students had yesterday repeatedly clashed
with police at the Osmania University campus and in different
parts of Hyderabad after they were not allowed to march to the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre