Telangana bill: Digvijay holds talks with AP Cong leaders
Hyderabad: On a day the Centre sent the controversial Telangana Bill (draft state reorganisation bill) to the Andhra Pradesh Assembly for its views, AICC General Secretary Digvijay Singh, in-charge of Congress affairs in the state, held hectic parleys with party leaders from Telangana and Seemandhra here on Thursday.
Singh`s two-day visit assumes significance as the winter session of the AP legislature also began today.
A large number of party leaders, including ministers, met Singh, but the most important was his meeting with Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, who is a staunch opponent of the proposed division.
There was no official word on the meeting, but it is learnt that the issue of the bill was discussed.
Chief Minister Reddy had said recently at a public rally that he would not allow Andhra Pradesh to be divided.
"We will see how the bill is passed in Parliament. United Andhra Pradesh is not just a slogan, it`s our policy," he had said.
Meanwhile, ministers and MLAs from Telangana urged Singh to see to it that Telangana bill be taken up for debate in the winter session.
State Major Industries Minister J Geetha Reddy, a senior leader from Telangana region, told reporters that Singh gave hearing to leaders from both sides.
"He (Singh) is only hearing everything. He is a veteran leader. He is not going to react to everything everybody says. He will collect the opinions of everybody and he thinks whatever is best for the state at this moment, he will do it," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31