Telangana bill: Jagan Reddy`s YSRCP calls for Andhra bandh today
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: YSR Congress Party led by YS Jaganmohan Reddy has called a general strike across Andhra Pradesh on Friday against the tabling of Telangana Bill in Lok Sabha while terming it as a "mockery" of democracy.
YSRCP chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy said his party would fight tooth and nail to stall the bill and mobilise support of all opposition parties for united Andhra Pradesh.
"The Speaker announcing that the Bill is tabled without taking into consideration the opinion of the House is a sheer mockery of democracy which has happened ironically in Parliament where democracy has to be safeguarded.
"We condemn the manner in which the Bill has entered the House and it is a black day for parliamentary democracy," Jagan said yesterday.
"The Chair announcing that the Bill is tabled within 10 seconds of her arrival shows that the Centre has no respect for democratic values and wants to push through its agenda by hook or crook and to sternly oppose this, we call for Andhra Pradesh bandh on February 14," he said.
In a hard-hitting attack, Jagan said it was "very shameful" on the part of Congress to indulge in divisive politics.
Jagan also launched a vitriolic attack on Congress president Sonia Gandhi, saying she is behaving "worse than Hitler and is carrying out the division in an authoritarian and unilateral manner".
"We will fight till the last post and take up every form of agitation. We will explore legal option as well. The apex court cannot call the petition pre-mature this time after seeing what has happened in the House. In the next two days, I will lobby with all opposition parties and BJP to garner support for a united state," Jagan told reporters in New Delhi.
"By Monday when the Lok Sabha meets again, we will ensure to gather enough support to stall the Bill and the undemocratic division," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt