Telangana Bill may be introduced in Parliament on Thursday
New Delhi: Notwithstanding vociferous opposition, the government is expected to table the Telangana Bill in Lok Sabha on Thursday.
However, official sources said a final call on introduction of the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill will be taken tomorrow morning.
Government had already taken the President`s nod for introduction of the Bill in the Lower House after initially planning to table the Bill in Rajya Sabha.
Since the separate statehood legislation is a Money Bill, it could not be tabled in Upper House.
The Government decided to go ahead with bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh notwithstanding the state Assembly`s rejection of the Telangana Bill.
The Telangana issue continues to rock both Houses of Parliament and virtually no business was conducted in the extended Winter session that began on February 5.
Even today, Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge had to cut short his presentation of Rail Budget due to turmoil created by Seemandhra MPs.
The Congress has already expelled six of its MPs for bringing no-confidence motion against the UPA government on the Telangana issue.
As per the plan, Telangana will comprise 10 districts while the rest of Andhra Pradesh would retain 13 districts.
Hyderabad is to be the common capital for both states for a period not exceeding 10 year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'