Telangana bill sent to President Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi/Hyderabad: The central government Friday sent to President Pranab Mukherjee the draft bill for formation of separate Telangana state.
The union home ministry sent the draft Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill to Rashtrapati Bhavan, a day after it was approved by the union cabinet, official sources said.
The president, who is on a tour to West Bengal, will have a look at the bill after his return to the national capital Sunday.
He will then refer the bill under Article 3 of the Constitution of India to Andhra Pradesh state assembly to send it back with its views within a prescribed time.
The draft bill will then go the union cabinet, which will give it a final shape for tabling the same in parliament.
It was not clear whether the bill would be tabled during parliament`s winter session, which concludes Dec 20.
Congress general secretary incharge of party affairs in Andhra Pradesh, Digvijaya Singh Friday said if the bill could not be tabled during the winter session, a special session would be convened.
Talking to reporters, he said whether the bill would come up during winter session or not would depend on the time the president would give to Andhra Pradesh assembly to respond with its comments.
"We can always call a special session," he said when asked what the government would do if the bill doesn`t come up during the current session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof