Telangana bill sent to President Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi/Hyderabad: The central government Friday sent to President Pranab Mukherjee the draft bill for formation of separate Telangana state.
The union home ministry sent the draft Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill to Rashtrapati Bhavan, a day after it was approved by the union cabinet, official sources said.
The president, who is on a tour to West Bengal, will have a look at the bill after his return to the national capital Sunday.
He will then refer the bill under Article 3 of the Constitution of India to Andhra Pradesh state assembly to send it back with its views within a prescribed time.
The draft bill will then go the union cabinet, which will give it a final shape for tabling the same in parliament.
It was not clear whether the bill would be tabled during parliament`s winter session, which concludes Dec 20.
Congress general secretary incharge of party affairs in Andhra Pradesh, Digvijaya Singh Friday said if the bill could not be tabled during the winter session, a special session would be convened.
Talking to reporters, he said whether the bill would come up during winter session or not would depend on the time the president would give to Andhra Pradesh assembly to respond with its comments.
"We can always call a special session," he said when asked what the government would do if the bill doesn`t come up during the current session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...