Telangana bill to be tabled in parliament in February: Reddy
New Delhi: Union Minister Jaipal Reddy on Wednesday said the Telangana statehood bill would be tabled in Parliament in the first week of February. Briefing reporters here, Reddy, who is a senior Congress leader from Telangana region, said he was confident the bill would be passed.
"I am not only a cabinet minister but also a senior parliamentarian. I have my own assessment," he said.
Asked about the change in portfolio of a Andhra Pradesh minister, which has kicked up a political storm in the state, he said any move by the (state) government and the Chief Minister are irrelevant to constitutional process.
"The wisdom of those doing this is limited," he charged without naming Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy who effected a minor reshuffle of portfolios by allocating Legislative Affairs to S Sailajanath from Seemandhra region, as an addition to the School Education portfolio he has been holding.
Civil Supplies Minister D Sridhar Babu, belonging to Telangana, was divested of the additional portfolio of Legislative Affairs and given charge of Commercial Taxes Department.
The portfolio re-jig seemingly sought to alter the regional equations at a time when the state legislature is set to take up a crucial debate on the draft AP Reorganisation Bill-2013, referred to by the President, from January 3.
Jaipal Reddy sought legislators to express their opinion about the Bill in the assembly. "If you do not discuss, it is the loss of the assembly," he added.
The President had given time till January 23 for the legislature to return the draft bill after due deliberations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok