Telangana Bill yet to reach Andhra Assembly
Hyderabad: The Bill for the formation of separate Telangana state has not yet reached the Andhra Pradesh Assembly.
Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde told reporters Thursday in New Delhi that the Bill would be sent to the Assembly once it is received from Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The Home Minister said this when asked about the Bill that has been sent to President Pranab Mukherjee and would be referred to the state Assembly to seek its comments in 40 days.
The Union Cabinet had on December 5 approved the draft of the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill, 2013, and the next day the Home Ministry sent it to the President with a request to refer it to the state Assembly under Article 3 of the Constitution.
Shinde said after the bill is sent back by the Assembly, it would be discussed in the Cabinet and a final Bill would be sent to the President for his approval to table the same in Parliament.
As the Winter Session of Parliament ends on December 20, the Bill is likely to come up only in the next session.
Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh has already indicated that if necessary, a special session of Parliament would be convened to pass the Telangana Bill.
The Winter Session of the Assembly began on Thursday and it is scheduled to last till December 20. The Business Advisory Committee (BAC), which decides the agenda, is likely to meet again once the Telangana Bill is received.
The session may be extended or a special session may be called next month to take up the Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Turkish PM says first signs in Istanbul attack point to IS
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates