Telangana bypolls: EC mulls voting through ballot system
Hyderabad: The Election Commission (EC) may
have to conduct the upcoming bypolls in 11 out of 12 Assembly
constituencies in Telangana region through the ballot paper
system as an unprecedented number of independents have filed
As many as 986 candidates have filed their nominations
for the 12 assembly seats after filing of nominations came to
a close today, State Chief Electoral Officer I V Subba Rao
"If the same figures continue on July 12, the last day
for withdrawal of nominations, then we will have to go for
ballot paper system," he said.
The EC cannot conduct polling by Electronic Voting
Machines (EVMs) if the number of candidates in the fray
exceeds 64, which is the maximum limit.
"There is a difficulty with anything more than 64 at the
moment. So, the decision is in case this same number remains
on the 12th, we will certainly have to go in for ballot box
system," Rao said.
The break-up of the number of nominations filed
constituency-wise is as follows: Sirpur-83, Chennur (SC)-85,
Mancherial-74, Yellareddy-114, Nizamabad Urban-19, Koratla-83,
Dharmapuri-84, Vemulawada-91, Sircilla-96, Huzurabad-75,
Siddipet-84 and Warangal West-98.
Except Nizamabad Urban, the number of nominations in all
other (11) constituencies exceeded 64.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you