Telangana: Cong leaders searching for escape route
Hyderabad: Caught literally between the devil and the deep sea, Congress legislators from Telangana are now desperately searching for an "escape route" from their misadventure against the high command.
On one hand the Telangana Congress leaders have become the subject of ridicule to their own party colleagues from Andhra-Rayalaseema regions and, on the other, they are under immense pressure from the high command to fall in line and put
an end to the ongoing drama over the statehood demand.
Also, with their proposed 48-hour hunger-strike ending in just about 33 hours without any impact, the Telangana Congress leaders are all at sea.
At least the ministers and the MLAs, who put in their papers on July 4 along with the MPs and the MLCs demanding creation of Telangana state, are said to be keen on withdrawing their resignations but are unable to do so fearing wrath of the people, sources said.
The ministers and the MLAs, who have been holding talks with Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy and Andhra Pradesh Congress Committee president Botsa Satyanarayana in turns, have explained their predicament and pleaded with
the two leaders to get at least a statement issued by the high command in favour of Telangana.
"This (statement) will pull us out of the mess and enable withdrawal of resignations. Otherwise, it will be totally damaging for us as well as the party," a senior minister remarked, after a fresh round of meeting with the Chief Minister last night.
While the PCC chief assured the agitated Telangana leaders that he would take up the issue with the high command, the Chief Minister was not forthcoming with any promise, the minister added.
The other day, when Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee president Rita Bahuguna Joshi landed in Hyderabad on a private visit, Panchayat Raj Minister Jana Reddy managed to take her to his residence for lunch along with Rajya Sabha member K
Keshava Rao and begged her to take up their case personally with Sonia Gandhi and see that "some statement" is issued on the statehood issue.
But they were left disappointed as Bahuguna did not commit anything on the issue.
Congress leaders from Andhra-Rayalaseema are enjoying their Telangana colleagues` predicament.
"They ignored our advise (on the resignations) and blindly fell into Telangana Rashtra Samiti president K Chandrasekhar Rao`s trap. Eventually, they achieved nothing," the Andhra-Rayalaseema leaders point out.
Interestingly, there is internal rift among Telangana Congress leaders for the same reason. Majority of ministers and legislators are holding a senior minister and at least four MPs responsible for the current imbroglio and blaming them for taking a "unilateral" decision on resignations.
"There is now no way forward or backward for us. We have run out of options and the only way out is an announcement from the Centre on Telangana. That`s not
happening and we are left in the lurch," a senior Telangana minister lamented.
The Telangana Congress leaders will meet tomorrow in their continued search for the escape route.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly