Telangana: Congress goes into huddle at 10 Janpath
New Delhi: In a bid to straighten out the Telangana tangle, Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday called a meeting of top Congress leaders at her residence 10, Janpath.
Sonia’s political advisor Ahmed Patel, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi were present at the meeting to mull over concerns that a separate Telangana state’s creation could cause.
Yesterday reports said that the Centre was considering the Gorkhaland model for Andhra Pradesh.
Highly-placed sources said the UPA government was considering a Telangana Territorial Administration. If the government makes up its mind on such a move, then it would have to further amend Article 371 (D) which would require a two-third majority approval of Parliament, a leading English daily said.
The Article has already provided a special status for 10 backward districts of the Telangana region, the daily added.
The government is expected to announce a decision on Telangana before January 28 – the deadline set by Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde.
By treading the middle path, the Centre is seeking to ensure peace prevails in both Telangana and Seemandhra regions. It may also choose to call the move an experiment.
The Telangana decision would also help calm tempers in West Bengal where the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration has already warned of restarting its movement for a separate state. If the government carves out a separate state from Andhra Pradesh, the same could have a cascading effect in West Bengal.
A panel set up by the Union government to look into the Telangana issue too had suggested a similar move.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India