Telangana Congress leaders to hold talks with Azad
Hyderabad: Congress leaders from Telangana seeking a separate state on Monday left for New Delhi for talks with party general secretary Ghulam Nabi Azad.
The 12-member team, constituted by the steering committee, will meet Azad at 7 pm.
Committee chairmen K Keshava Rao and K Jana Reddy, MPs Madhu Goud Yaskhi, G Sukhender Reddy, Manda Jaggannatham, Rajaiah, K Rajagopal Reddy and Vivek and state minister Geeta Reddy are among the leaders who will participate in the talks.
The talks assume significance in view of the Andhra Pradesh assembly speaker rejecting resignations of 101 legislators from Telangana.
While legislators of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) have decided to submit their resignations again, the Congress leaders said they would take a decision after talks with Azad.
Azad, who is in charge of party affairs in Andhra Pradesh, has invited the leaders to make their proposal to resolve the issue. He had preliminary talks with them last Friday.
Congress MPs and legislators have already made it clear that they would not accept any alternative to a separate Telangana state, and demanded the leadership to initiate the process for the same.
While Telangana leaders are looking for an assurance during the crucial meet, Azad on his part has already stated that a decision on Telangana would be taken only after talks with the leaders of all regions of Andhra Pradesh. He hinted that the consultation process may take two months.
With Speaker N Manohar on Saturday rejecting resignations of all legislators, the Congress leaders are under pressure from pro-Telangana groups to prove their sincerity towards the cause by again submitting their resignations.
The steering committee is likely to take a decision on the issue after talks with Azad.
At the two meetings held here on Sunday to chalk out future course of action, differences cropped up among Congress leaders. While one section felt they should immediately submit their resignations again, other said they should wait for two months as the leadership is holding talks on the issue.
Some leaders also suggested that they should submit their resignations to Azad instead of the assembly speaker to give a clear message that while they are committed to a separate state, they don`t want to defy the leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh