Telangana Congress leaders to show support to agitating MPs
Hyderabad: In a bid to support the party MPs, who have undertaken a 48-hour sit-in at Parliament premises to highlight the separate Telangana demand, some of the Congress leaders from the region may go to Delhi on Tuesday.
Some Telangana Congress MLAs and other leaders may go to the national capital tomorrow to express solidarity with the agitating MPs, party sources said here.
In an embarrassment to Congress, five party MPs from Telangana today launched a 48-hour sit-in at the main gate of Parliament in support of the separate statehood demand.
The MPs - Gutha Sukhender Reddy, Manda Jagannatham, Ponnam Prabhakar, G Vivekananda and Siricilla Rajaiah - carried placards with slogans like "48 hours diksha for achieving Telangana" and "Give Telangana and Save Democracy".
"We are staging a 48-hour Satyagraha dharna to urge the Government to fulfil the promise of Telangana State formation at an early date. It will conclude at 11 am on May 1," Prabhakar said.
Telangana Congress MPs have been vocal in raising the statehood demand, sometimes causing discomfiture to the party as it is in power in the state.
The Centre had held a meeting of major political parties from Andhra Pradesh earlier this year, but said more consultations were needed to resolve the contentious issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources