Telangana Congress leaders to show support to agitating MPs
Hyderabad: In a bid to support the party MPs, who have undertaken a 48-hour sit-in at Parliament premises to highlight the separate Telangana demand, some of the Congress leaders from the region may go to Delhi on Tuesday.
Some Telangana Congress MLAs and other leaders may go to the national capital tomorrow to express solidarity with the agitating MPs, party sources said here.
In an embarrassment to Congress, five party MPs from Telangana today launched a 48-hour sit-in at the main gate of Parliament in support of the separate statehood demand.
The MPs - Gutha Sukhender Reddy, Manda Jagannatham, Ponnam Prabhakar, G Vivekananda and Siricilla Rajaiah - carried placards with slogans like "48 hours diksha for achieving Telangana" and "Give Telangana and Save Democracy".
"We are staging a 48-hour Satyagraha dharna to urge the Government to fulfil the promise of Telangana State formation at an early date. It will conclude at 11 am on May 1," Prabhakar said.
Telangana Congress MPs have been vocal in raising the statehood demand, sometimes causing discomfiture to the party as it is in power in the state.
The Centre had held a meeting of major political parties from Andhra Pradesh earlier this year, but said more consultations were needed to resolve the contentious issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you