Telangana Congress leaders to show support to agitating MPs
Hyderabad: In a bid to support the party MPs, who have undertaken a 48-hour sit-in at Parliament premises to highlight the separate Telangana demand, some of the Congress leaders from the region may go to Delhi on Tuesday.
Some Telangana Congress MLAs and other leaders may go to the national capital tomorrow to express solidarity with the agitating MPs, party sources said here.
In an embarrassment to Congress, five party MPs from Telangana today launched a 48-hour sit-in at the main gate of Parliament in support of the separate statehood demand.
The MPs - Gutha Sukhender Reddy, Manda Jagannatham, Ponnam Prabhakar, G Vivekananda and Siricilla Rajaiah - carried placards with slogans like "48 hours diksha for achieving Telangana" and "Give Telangana and Save Democracy".
"We are staging a 48-hour Satyagraha dharna to urge the Government to fulfil the promise of Telangana State formation at an early date. It will conclude at 11 am on May 1," Prabhakar said.
Telangana Congress MPs have been vocal in raising the statehood demand, sometimes causing discomfiture to the party as it is in power in the state.
The Centre had held a meeting of major political parties from Andhra Pradesh earlier this year, but said more consultations were needed to resolve the contentious issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter