Telangana Congress MPs set Dec 9 deadline
Hyderabad: Members of Parliament belonging to Congress party from Telangana have set Dec 9 as the deadline for the party leadership to make an announcement for separate statehood to the region.
The MPs announced their decision late Sunday night after a meeting at the residence of Manda Jagannatham here. Besides Jagannatham, Madhu Yaskhi, G. Vivek and three other MPs attended the meeting. Senior leader and former MP K. Keshava Rao was also present.
Jagannatham told reporters after the meeting that if the leadership failed to make an announcement by Dec 9, they would be forced to take a key decision. He also warned that the Congress party would have no future in the region.
The MP said the resounding success of Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) meeting at Suryapet Sunday should be an eye-opener for those who are claiming that Telangana movement has weakened.
The meeting was held amid speculations that the MPs may join TRS.
The Congress MPs from the region are not attending winter session of Parliament. They staged protest at the Parliament House Thursday and Friday.
On Dec 9, 2009, the Centre had announced that the process for formation of Telangana state would be initiated but later put it on hold to evolve a consensus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi