Telangana Congress MPs to meet Sonia today
Hyderabad: Disappointed over the comments of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh favouring consensus on the separate Telangana demand, Congress MPs from the region are planning to seek the intervention of party president Sonia Gandhi.
"People of Telangana are shocked and feeling betrayed over the PM`s comments as we have made a commitment earlier," Congress MP Madhu Yashki Goud told reporters.
He said consensus may never be possible on the Telangana issue as the non-Telangana regions are bigger in size.
"The protests and campaign being held in the non-Telangana regions in support of keeping Andhra Pradesh united are orchestrated. If majority voice is heard, the minority may never get justice," he said.
Noting that Sonia Gandhi is the only hope for the Congress leaders from Telangana, Madhu Yashki Goud said they would soon meet and urge her to instruct the government to take steps for formation of separate Telangana state.
The Telangana Congress MPs are meeting tomorrow to firm up their strategy on the issue, he said.
The Prime Minister said yesterday that a decision on Telangana would be taken on the basis of a consensus and nothing would be done in a hurry that would create trouble in other regions.
"Telangana is a complicated matter. We want consensus where all shades of opinion will feel what is best. We cannot solve Telangana by agreeing to Telangana and there are disturbances and unrest in other parts," he told journalists on board his special plane while returning from Maldives yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city