Telangana Congress MPs warn of `drastic steps` over statehood
Hyderabad: Mounting pressure on the
Congress leadership on separate Telangana statehood, party MPs
from the region in Andhra Pradesh on Wednesday said they would take
"drastic steps" like resignations if the Centre failed to take
a favourable decision on the issue within a month.
"We will go to Delhi on June six and meet our party
leadership. We want to ask them about our separate Telangana
demand. Otherwise, we want to convey our action plan,"
Congress Rajya Sabha member K Keshav Rao told reporters here.
"We need to take direct action. We will take drastic
steps and will be ready for any sacrifices," he said.
A meeting of Congress MPs and MLAs will be held on
June five before leaving for Delhi, he said.
Rao, however, said the party MPs would continue their
struggle for Telangana by remaining within Congress.
During their stay in the national capital, the MPs
would try to meet top leaders, including Congress President
Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Congress Lok Sabha member K Rajagopal Reddy said the
MPs would wait till July one and announce their plan of action
"We hope a positive decision would come by July one.
If not, we will meet on July one and we will be ready for any
sacrifice, whether it is our post, party or our life. We may
take up fast also," Reddy said.
Highlighting the speech made by senior BJP leader
Sushma Swaraj at a pro-Telangana meet at Karimnagar yesterday,
Congress Lok Sabha MP from Karimnagar Ponnam Prabhakar said he
would bring to the high command`s notice the attempts of BJP
to gain political mileage on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- 50,000 fans register for Xiaomi Mi Max launch event
- Euro 2016: Despite another failure, Spain reluctant to change 'tiki-taka' style of play
- 'We're ready to execute our plans' - Chilling details emerge as NIA busts 'ISIS' terror module
- Animals owe their social sense to their maternal side!
- Neymar, Douglas Costa named in Brazil's Olympic squad