Telangana Congress MPs warn of `drastic steps` over statehood
Hyderabad: Mounting pressure on the
Congress leadership on separate Telangana statehood, party MPs
from the region in Andhra Pradesh on Wednesday said they would take
"drastic steps" like resignations if the Centre failed to take
a favourable decision on the issue within a month.
"We will go to Delhi on June six and meet our party
leadership. We want to ask them about our separate Telangana
demand. Otherwise, we want to convey our action plan,"
Congress Rajya Sabha member K Keshav Rao told reporters here.
"We need to take direct action. We will take drastic
steps and will be ready for any sacrifices," he said.
A meeting of Congress MPs and MLAs will be held on
June five before leaving for Delhi, he said.
Rao, however, said the party MPs would continue their
struggle for Telangana by remaining within Congress.
During their stay in the national capital, the MPs
would try to meet top leaders, including Congress President
Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Congress Lok Sabha member K Rajagopal Reddy said the
MPs would wait till July one and announce their plan of action
"We hope a positive decision would come by July one.
If not, we will meet on July one and we will be ready for any
sacrifice, whether it is our post, party or our life. We may
take up fast also," Reddy said.
Highlighting the speech made by senior BJP leader
Sushma Swaraj at a pro-Telangana meet at Karimnagar yesterday,
Congress Lok Sabha MP from Karimnagar Ponnam Prabhakar said he
would bring to the high command`s notice the attempts of BJP
to gain political mileage on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured