Telangana decision likely after UPA meet on July 31
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The United Progressive Alliance (UPA) coordination committee will meet on July 31 to discuss the formation of Telangana state despite opposition by the Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy who called the move a ‘suicidal step’.
According to reports, the Congress leadership is in favour of creation of separate state and deliberations are on over inclusion of two Rayalaseema districts in Telangana.
The meeting is being called by the UPA to discuss the Telangana issue with its allies.
Reddy had earlier made his displeasure over the issue clear when he told AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh that he will not be a party to any “destructive decision”.
A final decision on the creation of Telangana will now be taken next week. "The consultation process is over. Now you should await the decision of the party and the UPA government," Digvijaya Singh had said.
According to a report, Reddy had told Congress president Sonia Gandhi, just before the core group meeting at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s official residence at 7, Race Course Road, that "creating Telangana would be a suicidal step and it would be difficult to preside over any move to bifurcate the state".
Congress leaders from Seemandhra (Rayalaseema and Andhra regions) had earlier called on the Chief Minister and urged him to convey to the leadership their strong opposition to the state`s division, party sources said.
Andhra Pradesh, which has 42 Lok Sabha seats, consists of three regions - Telangana, coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata