Telangana decision likely after UPA meet on July 31
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The United Progressive Alliance (UPA) coordination committee will meet on July 31 to discuss the formation of Telangana state despite opposition by the Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy who called the move a ‘suicidal step’.
According to reports, the Congress leadership is in favour of creation of separate state and deliberations are on over inclusion of two Rayalaseema districts in Telangana.
The meeting is being called by the UPA to discuss the Telangana issue with its allies.
Reddy had earlier made his displeasure over the issue clear when he told AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh that he will not be a party to any “destructive decision”.
A final decision on the creation of Telangana will now be taken next week. "The consultation process is over. Now you should await the decision of the party and the UPA government," Digvijaya Singh had said.
According to a report, Reddy had told Congress president Sonia Gandhi, just before the core group meeting at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s official residence at 7, Race Course Road, that "creating Telangana would be a suicidal step and it would be difficult to preside over any move to bifurcate the state".
Congress leaders from Seemandhra (Rayalaseema and Andhra regions) had earlier called on the Chief Minister and urged him to convey to the leadership their strong opposition to the state`s division, party sources said.
Andhra Pradesh, which has 42 Lok Sabha seats, consists of three regions - Telangana, coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral