Telangana: `Delayed decision and hasty announcement`, says Karuna
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Sunday said "a delayed decision and hasty announcement" on Telangana had created the present situation in Andhra Pradesh and ruled out bifurcation of his state.
"What we understand is that there should not be a delayed decision followed by a hasty announcement," the DMK patriarch whose party is a key component of the UPA government, said commenting on the Centre`s handling of the Telangana issue, which has thrown Andhra Pradesh into a major turmoil.
Speaking to reporters here, he also flatly ruled out the possibility of bifurcating Tamil Nadu, saying there was "no place for such concepts."
"There is no such opinion either in DMK or among the people of the state," he said, apparently referring to PMK founder Dr S Ramdoss renewing his demand for bifurcation of Tamil Nadu, an idea also supported by some local groups.
Ramadoss, an early proponent of the bifurcation idea on administrative grounds, had said on Saturday that it "would be good if the state is bifurcated," saying "small is beautiful."
He had said that smaller states created out of big ones were doing well on the development front.
Ramadoss, whose party drew a blank in the Lok Sabha polls in May this year contesting as part of the AIADMK front, had come under fire from different quarters when he made the bifurcation proposal about a decade ago.
Besides Ramadoss, some caste-based outfits had also raised the demand in the wake of the decision to carve Telangana out of Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them