Telangana: `Delayed decision and hasty announcement`, says Karuna
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Sunday said "a delayed decision and hasty announcement" on Telangana had created the present situation in Andhra Pradesh and ruled out bifurcation of his state.
"What we understand is that there should not be a delayed decision followed by a hasty announcement," the DMK patriarch whose party is a key component of the UPA government, said commenting on the Centre`s handling of the Telangana issue, which has thrown Andhra Pradesh into a major turmoil.
Speaking to reporters here, he also flatly ruled out the possibility of bifurcating Tamil Nadu, saying there was "no place for such concepts."
"There is no such opinion either in DMK or among the people of the state," he said, apparently referring to PMK founder Dr S Ramdoss renewing his demand for bifurcation of Tamil Nadu, an idea also supported by some local groups.
Ramadoss, an early proponent of the bifurcation idea on administrative grounds, had said on Saturday that it "would be good if the state is bifurcated," saying "small is beautiful."
He had said that smaller states created out of big ones were doing well on the development front.
Ramadoss, whose party drew a blank in the Lok Sabha polls in May this year contesting as part of the AIADMK front, had come under fire from different quarters when he made the bifurcation proposal about a decade ago.
Besides Ramadoss, some caste-based outfits had also raised the demand in the wake of the decision to carve Telangana out of Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000