Telangana: `Delayed decision and hasty announcement`, says Karuna
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Sunday said "a delayed decision and hasty announcement" on Telangana had created the present situation in Andhra Pradesh and ruled out bifurcation of his state.
"What we understand is that there should not be a delayed decision followed by a hasty announcement," the DMK patriarch whose party is a key component of the UPA government, said commenting on the Centre`s handling of the Telangana issue, which has thrown Andhra Pradesh into a major turmoil.
Speaking to reporters here, he also flatly ruled out the possibility of bifurcating Tamil Nadu, saying there was "no place for such concepts."
"There is no such opinion either in DMK or among the people of the state," he said, apparently referring to PMK founder Dr S Ramdoss renewing his demand for bifurcation of Tamil Nadu, an idea also supported by some local groups.
Ramadoss, an early proponent of the bifurcation idea on administrative grounds, had said on Saturday that it "would be good if the state is bifurcated," saying "small is beautiful."
He had said that smaller states created out of big ones were doing well on the development front.
Ramadoss, whose party drew a blank in the Lok Sabha polls in May this year contesting as part of the AIADMK front, had come under fire from different quarters when he made the bifurcation proposal about a decade ago.
Besides Ramadoss, some caste-based outfits had also raised the demand in the wake of the decision to carve Telangana out of Andhra Pradesh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation