Telangana employees gear up for indefinite strike
Hyderabad: Government employees in Telangana region are set to protest from Monday in the run up to the indefinite strike from Aug 17, even as the government decided to invoke Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA) in all key departments.
A showdown appears inevitable with the employees` unions deciding to boycott talks till the government withdraws orders under ESMA and calls back police forces deployed at the offices and the government giving no hint of accepting their pre-conditions.
The Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) of employees, officers, teachers and workers and other unions threatened to go on an indefinite strike from Aug 17 to press the demand for a separate state and some service-related issues.
As a prelude to the strike, the employees would commence `work to rule` from Monday which means they would not work beyond the stipulated office hours. They would also undertake lunch-hour demonstrations in the office premises.
As the strike threatens to paralyse the administration, the government has decided to act tough.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, at a meeting late Saturday, decided to invoke provisions of ESMA in departments of civil supplies, rural water supply and panchayat raj.
The government has also decided to invoke `no work no pay` rule to tackle the strike, which pro-Telangana groups hope would give new impetus to the movement for a separate state.
Several departments like health, municipal administration, Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corp and electricity have already issued ESMA notifications banning strike for six months.
Under ESMA, a person found disturbing delivery of services by participating in the strike could face imprisonment for six months.
Officials said the government is making all efforts to avoid a February-March like situation when 16-day non-cooperation movement by nearly 300,000 employees had hit the administration.
The chief minister directed top officials to take steps to ensure that the strike has no impact in the secretariat and key offices in Hyderabad.
JAC leaders are unfazed. "We are determined to go ahead with the strike and make it successful," said JAC president Swami Goud.
He claimed the strike would be in tune with the aspirations of four crore people of Telangana and accused government of trying to intimidate them.
The Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), Communist Party of India (CPI), Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Telangana leaders of Congress, Telugu Desam Party, students` JAC and other groups are supporting the employees.
They have even warned that use of ESMA and other harsh measures against employees would have disastrous consequences for the Congress government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA