Telangana: Fresh violence at Osmania Univ campus
Hyderabad: After a lull, fresh violence erupted at Osmania University campus here, which has been the epicentre of movement for statehood for Telangana.
Pro-Telangana activists, many of them students, burnt five buses and set fire to police tents in and around the University campus late last night, police said today.
Over 200 protesters, in groups, pelted stones at vehicles on Tarnaka main road along the OU Campus, and later torched two RTC buses and three private buses.
Protesters also damaged windowpanes of another three RTC buses, said Police Inspector P Ashok.
They also set fire to police tents on the campus, the officer said, adding that the violence which started at around 10 last night, continued till 1 am.
"Efforts are on to nab the culprits and security has been tightened," he said.
The situation is peaceful since morning.
Osmania University has witnessed series of violent protests by students since November 2009. But there had been no violent incidents since the beginning of this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh