Telangana: Fresh violence at Osmania Univ campus
Hyderabad: After a lull, fresh violence erupted at Osmania University campus here, which has been the epicentre of movement for statehood for Telangana.
Pro-Telangana activists, many of them students, burnt five buses and set fire to police tents in and around the University campus late last night, police said today.
Over 200 protesters, in groups, pelted stones at vehicles on Tarnaka main road along the OU Campus, and later torched two RTC buses and three private buses.
Protesters also damaged windowpanes of another three RTC buses, said Police Inspector P Ashok.
They also set fire to police tents on the campus, the officer said, adding that the violence which started at around 10 last night, continued till 1 am.
"Efforts are on to nab the culprits and security has been tightened," he said.
The situation is peaceful since morning.
Osmania University has witnessed series of violent protests by students since November 2009. But there had been no violent incidents since the beginning of this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city