Telangana: Fresh violence at Osmania Univ campus
Hyderabad: After a lull, fresh violence erupted at Osmania University campus here, which has been the epicentre of movement for statehood for Telangana.
Pro-Telangana activists, many of them students, burnt five buses and set fire to police tents in and around the University campus late last night, police said today.
Over 200 protesters, in groups, pelted stones at vehicles on Tarnaka main road along the OU Campus, and later torched two RTC buses and three private buses.
Protesters also damaged windowpanes of another three RTC buses, said Police Inspector P Ashok.
They also set fire to police tents on the campus, the officer said, adding that the violence which started at around 10 last night, continued till 1 am.
"Efforts are on to nab the culprits and security has been tightened," he said.
The situation is peaceful since morning.
Osmania University has witnessed series of violent protests by students since November 2009. But there had been no violent incidents since the beginning of this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Wow! This self-driving robot can deliver food to your door (Watch)
- 2nd conviction in coal scam; 3 top officials of Rathi steel convicted
- Photo alert! ‘Baazigar’ jodi Shah Rukh Khan-Shilpa Shetty looks like this now
- Flipkart-owned Myntra acquires Jabong for an undisclosed amount
- Sandeep Dikshit unhappy with Ajay Maken? Says can't accept a leadership whose objective was to discredit Sheila Dikshit