Telangana groups to lay siege to Hyderabad in Oct
Hyderabad: Telangana groups fighting for separate statehood to the region plan to lay siege to Hyderabad in the second week of October, a top leader of the movement said on Wednesday.
Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) legislator Harish Rao told reporters here that they would now focus on Hyderabad.
"We will lay siege to the city in the second week of next month," said Rao while leading a protest at Hitec City, the information technology hub here.
Police arrested Rao and dozens of his supporters for blocking the road. The protest was part of "road blockade" called by the Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) to intensify the ongoing movement for separate state.
The JAC has already given a call for shutdown in Hyderabad on September 30. It also plans to organise "rail blockade" across Telangana from October 9-11.
The JAC`s "million march" on March 10 had led to violence in the city with protesters vandalising statues of Andhra leaders on the banks of the Hussain Sagar Lake.
TRS leaders plan to organise the proposed protest in Hyderabad on the lines of protests in Egypt and Libya.
State-owned Road Transport Corporation (RTC) buses remained off the roads in Hyderabad and nine other districts of Telangana for the 10th consecutive day.
Coal production in Singareni Collieries also remained paralysed, affecting electricity generation and supply.
The administration has come to a standstill in the region since September 13 when the government employees launched an indefinite strike.
According to the JAC, over 800,000 employees are participating in the strike.
Meanwhile, TRS leader KT Rama Rao warned the Central and state governments that the situation could go out of hand.
The son of TRS chief K Chandrasekhara Rao, Rama Rao demanded that the Centre intervene before it is too late.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!