Telangana issue could cast a shadow over AICC meet
New Delhi: The issue of separate Telangana could cast a shadow over the AICC meeting tomorrow with Congress leaders from Seemandhra region on Thursday threatening to hold a dharna outside the venue over denial of entry to them.
A prominent MP from Seemandhra region told a news agency that six MPs from the region --Vundavalli Aruna Kumar, Sabbam Hari, Rayapati Samba Siva Rao, Sai Pratap, Harsha Kumar and L Rajagopal-- have been denied passes for the AICC meet.
The MP, who did not want to be named, termed the decision not to allow them entry as an "undemocratic" action of the party leadership.
He said that the passes have been denied without giving any notice to them.
"It is a democratic party. How can they do like this? It is undemocratic. They have not given us anything," the MP said.
The MP said that if the leadership failed to issue him the entry pass, he would stage a dharna in front of the Talkatora Stadium, the venue of the AICC meet.
There was no immediate reaction from AICC on the issue.
The denial of passes has come in the backdrop of reports that the issue of separate Telangana could generate heat in the AICC meeting, the first after the decision of CWC to divide Andhra Pradesh.
L Rajagopal had even sought permission of the central leadership to move a resolution against the division of the state at the crucial party conclave.
In a letter two days ago to party General Secretary in-charge of Organisation, Janardan Dwivedi, the Vijayawada MP had said that the party had got the mandate in Andhra Pradesh in 2009 against the decision and it would be a "mockery of democracy" if any decision is taken contrary to the people`s mandate and will.
Citing rules in the party constitution for moving a non- official resolution, he had said, "In the national interest, we oppose further division of states. It is resolved to reverse the July 30, 2013 CWC Resolution of requesting the central government to take steps in accordance with the Constitution of India to form a separate state of Telangana."
Congress in the state is divided on regional lines as also other parties on the issue of Telangana.
Andhra Pradesh is the only major state where Congress is in power on its own for the past 10 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in