Telangana issue figures again in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Telangana issue again figured in Rajya Sabha on Friday with TDP members protesting against any move to carve out a separate state from Andhra Pradesh and charging the Centre with being "insensitive" to the issue.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, YS Chowdhary (TDP) said the whole of Andhra Pradesh was on fire but government has turned "insensitive" to the plight of the people there.
"It is a democratic country and the government should resolve the problem of Andhra Pradesh," he said, saying it was mockery of democracy that the government was hell bent on its decision of creating a Telangana while its own members were opposed to it.
He said the state is burning for the last 37 days but "just for coming back to power" Congress has resorted to the decision of creating a separate state.
Chowdhary was allowed to speak briefly as he started shouting slogans like "Save Andhra Pradesh" as soon as Deputy Chairman P J Kurien asked Finance Minister P Chidambaram to move the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority Bill, 2013 in the House.
Soon after Chowdhary finished speaking, Ananda Bhaskar Rapolu (Cong) stood up demanding that he be allowed to speak on it.
Rapolu said the people were in favour of creating Telangana and government should respect their sentiments. He also said that frustrated over delays in creation of Telangana, a student of Osmania university had committed suicide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand