Telangana issue generates heat in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: A senior Congress leader on Friday alleged that Home Minister P Chidamabaram`s statement on creation of a separate Telangana state was given in 2010 after TDP leader Chandrababu Naidu pledged his support for it.
The statement made by Hanumantha Rao (Cong) led to a furore in the House as members from TDP and BJP sought a clarification from the Home Minister on the issue.
Participating in a debate on a Private Member`s Resolution, Rao said Chidambaram had made the statement about starting the process of creation of Telangana on December 9, 2010, after Naidu said on December 7 that he will support it.
Reacting to this, Devendra Goud T (TDP) said Congress was trying to blame his party for the Home Minister`s statement and Chidambaram should give a clarification on this.
Intervening in the matter, Prakash Javadekar (BJP) said Congress was seeking opinion of other parties on the Telangana issue but its own stand was not clear.
"All parties are present here and let everyone, including Congress, make its stand clear," he demanded.
This led to pandemonium with members from both sides attacking each other, forcing the Chair to adjourn the House for 30 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees