Telangana issue generates heat in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: A senior Congress leader on Friday alleged that Home Minister P Chidamabaram`s statement on creation of a separate Telangana state was given in 2010 after TDP leader Chandrababu Naidu pledged his support for it.
The statement made by Hanumantha Rao (Cong) led to a furore in the House as members from TDP and BJP sought a clarification from the Home Minister on the issue.
Participating in a debate on a Private Member`s Resolution, Rao said Chidambaram had made the statement about starting the process of creation of Telangana on December 9, 2010, after Naidu said on December 7 that he will support it.
Reacting to this, Devendra Goud T (TDP) said Congress was trying to blame his party for the Home Minister`s statement and Chidambaram should give a clarification on this.
Intervening in the matter, Prakash Javadekar (BJP) said Congress was seeking opinion of other parties on the Telangana issue but its own stand was not clear.
"All parties are present here and let everyone, including Congress, make its stand clear," he demanded.
This led to pandemonium with members from both sides attacking each other, forcing the Chair to adjourn the House for 30 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!