Telangana issue: Seemaandhra MLAs stall debate in AP Assembly
Hyderabad: Discussion on the draft Telangana Bill could not be taken up in Andhra Pradesh Assembly as MLAs from coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema, strongly opposing the creation of a new state of Telangana, did not allow proceedings, leading to adjournment of the House twice this morning.
TDP and YSR Congress legislators from Seemaandhra stayed in the Well of the House, raising slogans against the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill-2013 and demanded that the House first pass a resolution opposing the proposed bifurcation of the state.
Speaker Nadendla Manohar rejected the adjournment motions moved by TDP, YSRC and CPI on the bifurcation issue and at once adjourned the proceedings for an hour.
When the House reassembled after a 75-minute break, noisy scenes continued, forcing the Speaker to adjourn the proceedings for another hour the second time.
The draft Bill was tabled in the House on Monday and the Assembly Business Advisory Committee decided to take up debate from today.
The Speaker was supposed to announce the schedule for the debate in the House this morning, but that did not happen because of the din.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed