Telangana issue: Two Cong ministers arrested in AP
Hyderabad: The Congress government in
Andhra Pradesh was left red-faced on Saturday when two of its
Cabinet ministers were arrested by police in Mahbubnagar
district to avert a showdown between them.
Endowments Minister Jupally Krishna Rao and
Information and Public Relations Minister D K Aruna were taken
into police custody at two separate places and shifted to
different police stations as tension mounted in Gadwal
constituency in view of the former`s paada yatra (foot march)
in support of Telangana.
Aruna was subsequently set free on personal surety as
she had to take part in Rajiv Gandhi`s death anniversary
programme, a senior police officer said over phone.
Jupally, however, refused to obtain bail demanding
that Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy intervene and permit
his foot march in Gadwal constituency represented by Aruna.
Andhra Pradesh Congress Committee president D
Srinivas` intervention in the afternoon too did not resolve
the issue as the two ministers, apparently engaged in a turf
war in their native district, refused to climb down from their
As the Chief Minister was in New Delhi to meet Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and AICC leaders, a few ministers
informally discussed their Cabinet colleagues` arrest.
Aruna, who represents Gadwal, objected to Jupally`s
yatra in her segment, Jupally, on the other hand, sought
police protection as his yatra was to enter Gadwal today.
As he was about to embark on his yatra from Aiza
town, police took Jupally into custody and shifted him to
Pebberu police station.
Aruna was also detained in Tummalapalli village and
taken to Dharur police station.
"Both the ministers were taken into preventive
custody to avert a law and order problem," Mahbubnagar
district Superintendent of Police G Sudheer Babu said, adding
the situation was under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi