Telangana issue: Two Cong ministers arrested in AP
Hyderabad: The Congress government in
Andhra Pradesh was left red-faced on Saturday when two of its
Cabinet ministers were arrested by police in Mahbubnagar
district to avert a showdown between them.
Endowments Minister Jupally Krishna Rao and
Information and Public Relations Minister D K Aruna were taken
into police custody at two separate places and shifted to
different police stations as tension mounted in Gadwal
constituency in view of the former`s paada yatra (foot march)
in support of Telangana.
Aruna was subsequently set free on personal surety as
she had to take part in Rajiv Gandhi`s death anniversary
programme, a senior police officer said over phone.
Jupally, however, refused to obtain bail demanding
that Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy intervene and permit
his foot march in Gadwal constituency represented by Aruna.
Andhra Pradesh Congress Committee president D
Srinivas` intervention in the afternoon too did not resolve
the issue as the two ministers, apparently engaged in a turf
war in their native district, refused to climb down from their
As the Chief Minister was in New Delhi to meet Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and AICC leaders, a few ministers
informally discussed their Cabinet colleagues` arrest.
Aruna, who represents Gadwal, objected to Jupally`s
yatra in her segment, Jupally, on the other hand, sought
police protection as his yatra was to enter Gadwal today.
As he was about to embark on his yatra from Aiza
town, police took Jupally into custody and shifted him to
Pebberu police station.
Aruna was also detained in Tummalapalli village and
taken to Dharur police station.
"Both the ministers were taken into preventive
custody to avert a law and order problem," Mahbubnagar
district Superintendent of Police G Sudheer Babu said, adding
the situation was under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement