Telangana JAC gears up for "vanta varpu"
Hyderabad: The Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) is going ahead with its "vanta varpu" or cook-and-eat agitation on the roads in Hyderabad on Sunday to press for a separate Telangana state. The state police said they are gearing up to deal with the stir.
The JAC, the apex body of various groups fighting for a separate Telangana, plans to undertake cooking food on the city roads on a massive scale and thus bring the traffic on main thoroughfares to a standstill.
The Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS), a constituent of the JAC, has warned the government against creating any hurdles in the "peaceful protest" while the police said they would take all measures to maintain public order.
The city police have mobilised additional forces to deal with the situation and to prevent any recurrence of violent incidents that took place during "million march" March 10 this year.
Andhra Pradesh Police chief K Aravinda Rao told reporters that police action would depend on the situation. He said no organisation had sought permission for the protest.
Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy reviewed the situation with the director general of police and other top police officials.
Hyderabad`s Police Commissioner AK Khan said the police would ensure smooth flow of traffic so that people, especially students appearing for various competitive exams, bus and train passengers and patients are not inconvenienced. "We are taking all precautionary measures," Khan said.
The police commissioner evaded a reply when asked if the police will take JAC leaders under preventive detention.
TRS legislator K Tarakarama Rao has warned the government against creating hurdles in the "peaceful protest". He said the government alone would be responsible for any consequences.
The JAC plans to mobilise thousands of people for the protest. JAC convenor M Kodandaram and TRS chief K Chandrasekhara Rao have announced they would also participate in "vanta varpu" along with their family members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!