Telangana: Jagan asks Congress, TDP legislators to seek united AP resolution
Hyderabad: YSR Congress president YS Jaganmohan Reddy on Saturday asked legislators of Congress and Telugu Desam Party to press for adoption of a resolution in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly in favour of the united state.
"This is the hour of reckoning. Please listen to your conscience and press for a resolution and save the state (from division)," Jagan appealed.
Addressing a press conference, the YSRC president said he succeeded in drawing national attention to the arbitrary manner in which the Centre was seeking to divide the state.
"I met rulers of various states and leaders of different parties in the last one month to mobilise opinion on the need to amend Article 3 of the Constitution which could otherwise be misused by parties in power. All of them agreed with my contention and some of them said they would move an adjournment motion on the issue in Parliament," he said.
"I have requested them to join the fight against the undemocratic and authoritarian division of the state as, if they remained silent today, it may happen in their case tomorrow.
"I could convince the leaders of national and regional parties that Congress is splitting the state for the sake of votes and seats."
Replying to a question, Jagan said his party after the 2014 elections would support "anyone who promised to keep the state united".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened