Telangana lawyers boycott courts over demand of separate HC
Hyderabad: Telangana Advocates` Joint Action Committee on Thursday boycotted the courts, demanding bifurcation of the existing common High Court for Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
Its members also staged a demonstration near the High Court. Police took several demonstrators in preventive custody.
The lawyers boycotted the courts in the 10 Telangana districts, demanding separate High Court for the newly formed state, the JAC`s co-convener T Sriranga Rao said.
"Most courts were boycotted. As many as 150 lawyers were taken into preventive custody," he said, adding that several petitions had been submitted to the Centre and the Chief Justice of India over the issue.
"We also demand recruitment of more judges and judicial officials from Telangana. We have called for `chalo HC` tomorrow and boycot of courts will continue as well."
The protesting lawyers later went to the secretariat and gave a representation to Telangana Home Minister Nayani Narasimha Reddy against the police`s "high-handedness", seeking stern action. One of the lawyers was injured in the confrontation with police, Rao said.
"The Telangana advocates had given call to gherao HC and held a protest near the HC and hence some of the protesting advocates were taken into preventive custody," Deputy Commissioner of Police Sarvashresth Tripathi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- One killed in PKK car bomb in Turkey's southeast
- Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus
- 'Raped woman' remark: Finally, Salman Khan speaks to media - Here's what he said
- 'Unguided missile Subramanian Swamy has backfired at BJP'