Telangana leader Kodandaram under house arrest
Hyderabad: Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) convenor M Kodandaram was placed under house arrest here early Thursday as police stepped up security for Andhra Pradesh formation day.
Kodandaram was placed under house arrest at Tarnaka in Secunderabad in view of the call given by JAC and other Telangana groups to observe the day as day of betrayal.
The JAC leader termed his house arrest "undemocratic". He accused the government of resorting to oppressive measures to prevent Telangana people from staging protests.
A thick security cover was thrown around NTR Stadium, where the main official function was on to mark the occasion. Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy unfurled the national flag and took the salute.
Unprecedented security arrangements were made to prevent any disruption by JAC, Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) and other groups, demanding separate statehood to Telangana. The chief minister addressed the gathering from behind a bullet proof podium.
A large number of policemen were deployed at Tank Bund, Telugu Talli statue, state secretariat and surrounding areas to prevent any protest. TRS activists hoisted black flags on government buildings at various places in Telangana, which comprises 10 districts including Hyderabad.
The pro-Telangana groups have been observing the formation day as betrayal day to register their protest. They alleged that the assurances given to Telangana region at the time of formation of Andhra Pradesh were never fulfilled.
Telangana, a part of the erstwhile Hyderabad State, was merged with then Andhra State Nov 1, 1956 to form Andhra Pradesh, despite reservations from a section of people in Telangana.
Demands have been made for separate statehood to Telangana for last four decades. The backward region is currently witnessing a movement for separate statehood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack